A client asked us to develop a specification and brief for the build of a Grade II listed building working closely with them. As a Grade II Listed historic building, conditions for development were stringent and Kalkwarf Architects worked with several consultants to develop a brief that were sensitive to the character of the property while achieving our client’s objective.
2 Queen Anne’s Gate is located in the London Borough of Westminster adjacent to Birdcage Walk, bordering the Cockpit steps. The site area is 1,290m² of mixed use made up of office and residential areas. Several Planning Permissions were obtained as well as a license in order to develop the building and its rear garden from its previous office functions.
As with many projects we had to navigate around issues that presented themselves during the construction phase, and the successful outcome is due to the way in which they were tackled.
The construction programme was planned so that office spaces and a basement server space was completed first so that staff could move in to that space to avoid the cost of long-term office rental as the building was completed.
Our involvement in the project included:
- Planning Application services and communications with local Building Control
- Demolition of existing partitions and some structural elements to accommodate new internal layouts
- Liaising with consultants to coordinate M+E and Structural provisions as per new layouts and uses
- Remedial works to existing external facade
- Interior design and fit out